3/16/2021 – March Town Board Minutes


March 2021 Town Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting called to order at 7:30 pm, by Chairman, Russell Bailey. Present were Russell Bailey, Ken Bodeen, Gary Williams, Marge Ogren, Pam Holt, Nora Tribys, Brett Bodeen, DuWayne Zupke and Troy Kavajecz.

Motion was made to accept the minutes as presented by Gary, second by Ken. Motion was made by Gary to accept the treasurer’s report with a second by Ken.

Citizen’s Input – Sally Stemic – Saturday Market. She will be taking over the management of the Saturday Market. She will be in communication with the Town Clerk to make sure the pavilion is available.

Ken Jardine brought up two concerns – Highway 13 is going to be designated as a Federal Scenic Byway. He is concerned that the road through town needs to be cleaned up, especially the Salvage Yard. He wants to know what the town can do to encourage to have the fence repaired. He also brought up the zoning in town and that the citizens should be allowed to suggest how their own property is zoned. Russell mentioned that the process has started but had been put on hold because of the restrictions due to the COVID virus.


Kinney Valley Road Bridge Update – Ken reported that the project will be delayed until Spring 2022. The DNR requires that a plant survey be completed because there could possibly be endangered plants on the site. Russell mentioned that the adjacent land owners have given permission to have easements in place for the project once it begins. It was suggested that we get the agreement in writing.

Road repair between bridges on Washington Ave. Northland Paving has provided two options $34k for an overlay and $45k for a complete replacement

Troy met with the engineer for the Highway 13 planned improvements – it will now go all the way to Highway B. We should be set with any issues regarding the water and sewer.

Vacation of Parcel on Wisconsin Ave–Nora reported the documents have been recorded at the county.

Non-taxed parcel on 5th St. Ted Morrison is looking into getting the back taxes refunded. He will contact the assessor. Russell went over the fire dept/ambulance report.


Assessor will do a revaluation this year.

WPDES – Environmental Fee will be assessed. Troy has copy of the report.

Beth Hoagland presented one of the signs that the students worked on for the Sewer Reclamation Project and asked for board input. She needs to know what logos of who partnered on the project should be on the sign. Russell mentioned the DNR, Town of Port Wing and the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative. The sign was titled “Wheeler Restoration Project – Russell mentioned it should say “Michelle Wheeler Restoration Project”. Russell also mentioned that there will be a video of the site on the Port Wing website

There are no boundary changes to report to the State.

Lawn mowing for the cemetery and park – Steve Gustafson is willing to do the work this year. Gary made the motion to hire Steve, second by Ken.

Mark McGuire wrote letter to town concerning logging co. that left logs on his property (in right of way).

Tom Erickson wrote letter to town concerning the condition of Fireplace Road. Russell agreed to have the town crew inspect the road to suggest what needs to be done.

Hjalmer Road maintenance is set for this year. Letter to the county will go out to request funding.

Discussed maintenance on the lower Flag Road – frost needs to come out of the road first.

Zoning requests: Building permit issued for William and Tess Olson on School Road.

Troy reported on recent activities of the Town Crew: Road limit signs are up. Plow truck is being repaired. Dump truck had check engine light on and was repaired under warranty. Electrician is needed at sewer plant. Troy and DuWayne need classes for their license – they took a class on line last week. Mentioned that Seagull Island Road will need 2” rock. Request for gravel bids will be published – bids to open at next meeting. Need 1500 yards.

Next meeting set for Monday, April 12, 2021 at 7pm. Annual Meeting is set for Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7pm. Meeting adjourned by Ken with a second by Gary.

Submitted by Pam Lawrenz Holt, Deputy Town Clerk