6/7/2021 – June Town Board Minutes

June 7, 2021


PW Town Meeting Minutes 06-07-2021

Meeting called to order at 8:00 pm, by Chairman, Russell Bailey. Present were Russell Bailey, Ken Bodeen, Scott Jardine, Marge Ogren, Pam Holt, Nora Tribys, Brett Bodeen, Troy Kavajecz and DuWayne Zupke. Also present were Marsha & Jim Swanson, Dustin & Stacy Danula, Paul & Suzie Louma, John & Eileen McKay, Chuck Spoden, Bill & Brett Bodeen, Sheila Bergman, Bucky Jardine, and Leann Hess.

Motion was made to accept the minutes as presented by Ken, second by Scott. Motion was made by Ken to accept the treasurer’s report with a second by Scott.

Citizen’s Input – Sharon Graham – Update on the Comprehensive Plan survey. Sharon was not in attendance. A motion was made to approve the survey by Scott, second by Ken.

Chuck Spoden has concerns over the traffic on Big Pete Road. He informed the Board that there are vehicles going 40-45 mph down the single lane gravel road. He requested that a 15 MPH Speed Limit sign be put in place at the entrance of Big Pete Road. The Board agreed to install the sign.


Kinney Valley Road Bridge Update – no new updates. We need to hire an attorney to write up the easements that will be necessary for the project.

Clean up Day was a great success. Volunteers worked on cleaning ditches, clean up at Twin Falls, cleaning the Town Hall kitchen area, clean up the cemetery, including the headstones. A wonderful lunch was served to all those helping.

Sewer Pond Reclamation Project – There are issues with the DOT and the placement of the signs. The town will work with clearing the area for the signs on Wheeler Road. The date for the Grand Opening is probably going to be in August.

Health & Recreation Grant – Town was awarded the full $5,000 matching funds for the project to replace the fencing, resurface the basketball area and paint lines for basketball and pickleball. Town will be looking at ways to fund the balance of the project.

Motion to issue the liquor license to the Port Bar made by Ken. Second by Scott. Motion to issue the liquor license to the South Shore Bar made by Ken. Second by Scott. Motion to issue the liquor license to Johnson’s Store made by Russell. Second by Ken.

Town received back the signed copy of the contract for the revaluation.

Fire Department report from Dustin Danula – the new trucks are being worked on to get into service soon.

Russell read off the ambulance report.

South Shore Sand & Gravel will begin the rip rap project on Flagg River road on Wednesday.


Mice/Pest control at Town Hall. Board agreed to get a quote from Plunkett’s Pest Control.

DOT pavement ratings are due to the State by Dec 2021.

Motion was made to reappoint Brian Chamberlin to another six-year term to the Sanitary Board by Scott. Second by Ken.

Motion was made to accept the Sewer System CMAR resolution by Ken. Second by Scott.

Concern over the suspension on the current lawnmower causing back pain while using. The mower only has 450 hours on it. A Ferris machine was recommended at a cost of $5,900. Board will review and consider replacement.

Concern over old lighthouse being painted. No one knows who authorized or who is doing the painting. Board concerned over the liability because the lighthouse is on town property. Town will try to contact the painter to make sure they have insurance.

Pine Ridge Land Surveying has been contracted to complete the survey at the town cemetery for $800.

Grinder pump at 9300 Gust Road – tank is on its way. Town crew needs the control panel by the tank. Property owner is responsible to get the power to the controls. Town is currently paying to have the tank pumped out every 3 days. Town will send letter to property owner to make them aware of their responsibility to get power to the controls.

Sheila Bergman – Senior Meals at Town Hall. County will have food trucked in. They will be required to set up and clean up after. Also will have card/board games one day a week. Board approved.

Concern over speed going through town, especially at the intersection of Hwy 13 and Washington St. Recommendations made by residents to put up warning signs and/or flashing lights.

ZONING REQUESTS: Rebecka Nicoletti -82930 White Birch Road – Placing mobile home and provide short term rental. Many issues were discussed by the residents. Motion was made by Scott to disapprove land use permit. Second by Ken. All in favor to deny permit.

Tim & Michelle Lomnes 85455 Old Highway 13. Want to build shed that is over 200 SF. They need to get land use permit from Bayfield County and bring to the board.

Troy reported on recent activities of the Town Crew: Putting fitting back in tanks and fixed the valve. Received information on PASER Reports due by end of year. Having issues with backhoe – had to hand prime. Replaced the fuel pump. Will be installing three culverts this year. No more gravel available this month because Sipsas has other projects going on. Jason Bodine from County Parks and Rec requesting routine grader on Battle Axe Road. County is shutting down Wally Polk trail which is leading to more ATV traffic on Battle Axe. County is willing to give funds to Town for upkeep. DuWayne got a load of black top patch and will begin patch repair on roads.

Next meeting set for Monday, July 12, 2021 at 7pm. Meeting adjourned by Ken with a second by Scott.

Respectively Submitted by Pam Lawrenz Holt, Town Clerk